Fresh to Frozen Best Practices
1. Freeze as soon as possible – don’t wait for the “Use by Date” and leave product in the Cryovac vacuum package.
2. Position product in the coldest part of the freezer, which will be as close to the freezer blower as possible.
3. Allow maximum air flow around the product.
4. Expect the full freezing process to take 24 to 48 hours.
1. Allow up to 48 hours in the cooler for product to thaw.
2. Leave product in the Cryovac vacuum package and if in a case, remove from case.
3. Place Cryovac vacuum packaged product on sheet pan or in a hotel pan in cooler.
4. Do not quick thaw; i.e. do not thaw product in a water bath.
5. Do not thaw product at room temperature.
1. Expect to see some excess purge.
2. Cryovac will be loose upon thaw.
3. Purge will be darker in color.
4. Expect two-day shelf-life on thawed product.
** How the thawed product will perform when cooked is dependent on how the product was handled prior to freezing and method used in thawing.